Tippecanoe County's county seat is Lafayette, Indiana. Native Americans were the first to settle in Lafayette. The Delaware, Wea, Miami, Potawatomi, and Wyandot were among the first tribes to settle in the area. In 1717, the French authorities established Fort Ouiatenon. During that period, the fort became an important part of the trade for Indians, fur trappers, and merchants.
When Tecumseh and the Prophet arrived in the area, they strove to preserve Native American traditions and culture. The Battle of Tippecanoe erupted in 1811, after they established the foundation for their confederation. Indiana joined the Union in 1816, years after the War of 1812. It became the Union's 19th member.
William Digby was one of the first to find the Wabash River. He was employed as a riverman. Digby purchased land from a land sale on Christmas Eve 1824 and established a town. In May 1825, he surveyed the area and named it after the French Revolutionary War hero, Marquis de Lafayette.
Lafayette served as a supply area for the new residents who were relocating to the area. Tippecanoe County was formed in 1826, and Lafayette became the county seat. The river, which runs near the Courthouse Square, makes transportation simple. The Wabash and Erie Canal was built in the 1840s. As the town grew, so did transportation, as new railroads arrived to serve its population. Lafayette quickly became a regional retail, manufacturing, and transportation hub.
The Tippecanoe Battlefield and Museum, located just north of West Lafayette along the Wabash River, is cherished by the people. This national historic site is housed in a 96-acre park and has an 85-foot marble obelisk monument commemorating the 1811 Battle of Tippecanoe between US forces and the Native American Confederacy. In June, the park hosts the Indiana Fiddlers' Gathering. The obelisk monument was created in 1908 to commemorate the 1811 Battle of Tippecanoe between soldiers led by William Henry Harrison of the United States and members of Tecumseh's Native American confederation.
Tippecanoe Battlefield Park, 200 Battleground Ave, West Lafayette, IN 47906
The town of West Lafayette was founded in the late 1820s. The current city was formed in 1888 by the merger of the adjacent suburbs of Chauncey, Oakwood, and Kingston.
West Lafayette remained a small suburban village until the establishment of Purdue University in 1869. Following a petition signed by 52 electors, Chauncey's town voted to change its name to West Lafayette in May 1888. The rise of the institution at the time was propelling the development of the small town. Until well into the twentieth century, Purdue University's address was given as Lafayette, Indiana. West Lafayette never received a railroad depot and lagged behind Lafayette in terms of municipal infrastructure and services for several years. Today, West Lafayette has established itself as a distinct city, with its own services and distinct neighborhoods from its sister city.
The City of West Lafayette approved an annexation in 2013 that brought much of the Purdue University academic campus and residence hall system within its official boundaries for the first time. This included a large portion of the US Highway 231 corridor, which was previously part of unincorporated Tippecanoe County.
The history of the Lafayette Loeb House begins in 1881, when prominent businessman, Emerson P. Knight, purchased a large tract of land in the heart of downtown Cincinnati. This property included several lots along Cincinnati Street, one of which was vacant lot number 709. In 1882, Mr. Knight commissioned architect John W. Loeb to design a residence for him on this site.
In 1888, the Knights sold their interest in the property to Joseph B.
- Hatton, who had been working as a clerk for Mr. Knight.
- After purchasing the property, Mr. Hatton hired architect William E. Parsons to design a brick mansion. Construction began in 1889 and continued into 1890.
- Completed in 1891, the Hatton Mansion was named after Joseph Hatton Jr., who served as president of the Board of Trade during the Civil War.
- The building was constructed on a foundation of sandstone quarried from the nearby Hillside Quarry.
708 Cincinnati St, Lafayette, IN 47901
lafayette, in, fort ouiatenon, prophet tenskwatawa, lafayette-west lafayette, monon, tenskwatawa, us 231, wlfi-tv, new york central system, wttv, wrtv, battle of tippecanoe, cardinal, wpbi-ld, chicago, indianapolis & louisville railway, "out-of-market" stations, tecumseh, the wabash and erie canal, shawnee, nickel plate, ouiatenon
Hoosier Injury Attorneys is a personal injury law firm serving the Lafayette area. They assist those injured in auto accidents including car accidents, bicycle accidents, motorcycle accidents, and trucking accidents. They also list several other practice areas including medical malpractice lawsuits, birth injury lawsuits, construction injury lawsuits, and dog bite claims. They also assist workers with workers' compensation claims and have a list of dedicated experienced personal injury attorneys to help those in the Lafayette area. The law office serves Lafayette and the surrounding areas including West Lafayette, Wallace Triangle, Vinton Highlands, Dayton, Shadeland, and Bar Barry Heights.
They are located at 17 S 6th St x 32, Lafayette, IN 47901, and can be reached at (765) 232-2479.
A national historic district known as Downtown Lafayette Historic District may be found in Lafayette, which is located in Tippecanoe County, Indiana. In 1825, Lafayette was established as a transportation hub for the western and central parts of the state of Indiana. The shifts that have taken place in transportation over the course of the preceding years can be seen reflected in the development and expansion of the company. Due to its location alongside the Wabash River, it initially flourished as a result of river travel and later, for a brief period of time, benefited from the Wabash and Erie Canal. The arrival of railroads in the 1850s sparked the beginning of the town's expansion, which was first concentrated along the rail lines. These early transformations are reflected in the Downtown Lafayette Historic District.
A national historic district known as the Perrin Historic District may be found in Lafayette, which is situated in Tippecanoe County, Indiana. In an area of Lafayette that is primarily residential, the district consists of 173 contributing buildings and 2 contributing structures. It flourished between the years 1869 and 1923 and features notable examples of architectural styles such as Italianate, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Stick Style / Eastlake Movement, Bungalow / American Craftsman, and Bungalow / American Four Square. Buildings such as the James Perrin House (1869, c. 1890), the John Heinmiller House (c. 1885), the James H. Cable House (c. 1898), the Adam Herzog House (1878), the Coleman-Gude House (1875), the Frank Bernhardt House (1873), the August Fisher Cottage (c. 1910), the John Beck House (1887), and the William H. Sarles Bungalow are notable examples of those that contributed to the neighborhood (1923). In 1979, the building was given a spot on the National Register of Historic Places.
498-310 Tinkler St, Lafayette, IN 47904
Founded in 1869, Purdue University is located in West Lafayette, Indiana.
The school is best known for its engineering programs. In fact, Purdue ranks among the top five American universities for the number of international students that are currently enrolled.
In addition to its engineering program, Purdue offers more than 175 undergraduate majors. And, there are over 60 graduate degree options.
As far as sports go, Purdue Men's and Women’s college basketball teams have consistently placed West Lafayette, Indiana on national maps.
610 Purdue Mall, West Lafayette, IN 47907
The Indiana Veterans' Home enjoys an impressive history. Established in 1874, it was one of the first veterans homes in the United States. At its peak, there were nearly 400 people living here. Today, it serves about 300 people.
Not only does the Indiana Veterans’ Home honor this history, and residents love connecting to the present and future, too. Residents are proud members of the home, and enjoy participating in activities like painting murals, playing games, and volunteering. They even take pride in being able to connect to the past.
The Indiana Veterans’ Home was established to care for disabled Union Army soldiers after the Civil War, and many of those men stayed here. Some of them lived out their final days at the home, while others passed away nearby. Today, the home still honors the memory of these brave souls.
3851 N River Rd, West Lafayette, IN 47906
The Jefferson Historic District is a nationally recognized historic district located at Lafayette in Tippecanoe Township, Tippecanoes County, Indiana.
The district encompasses 161 contributing buildings and 2 contributing sites in the Main Street commercial area of Lafayette. Notable buildings include the First Christian Church (1876), former Lafayette City Hall (1912), Lafayette Theater (1921), Masonic Temple (1916), Lafayette Bank & Trust Building (1926), Lafayette Public Library (1914), and the Pogue Mansion (c. 1850).
1101-1199 Brown St, Lafayette, IN 47904
This house was built by John Waldron, who came from New York with his wife Elizabeth Beck. The couple settled in Lafayette in 1827. In 1840, they purchased land on what is now Walnut Avenue, where they raised five children. Their son William became a prominent lawyer, judge, and politician. He served as mayor of Lafayette, and later as governor of Indiana.
He platted it in May 1825 and named it after the French Revolutionary War hero Marquis de Lafayette. Lafayette became a supply center for the new settlers who arrived in the area. Tippecanoe County was established in 1826, with Lafayette as its county seat.
Today, West Lafayette has emerged as a distinct city, with its own services and neighborhoods different from those of its sister city, Lafayette.
Established by William Digby
Honoring General Lafayette